Thursday, March 30, 2006

Smokin' Averatec: DC Connector problem

I have an Averatec 3250, running Gentoo. A couple of weeks ago, the thing started smoking, that is, there was black smoke coming out of the back of it, while I was websurfing! And the thing didn't even shut off!

Well anyway, I found out that this not unusual for averatecs. The problem was with the DC power connector.

I had to open the whole damn thing up first (finding all the screws is terribly confusing, please, if you're gonna do this, email me or find out somehow where all the screws are before you try, this is a good source for instructions). Then I had to remove the DC connector, which is on the rear-right of the laptop. I unsoldered the stuff off of it, and I re-soldered it back together.

Again, this site has pretty good, clear instructions on how to do this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home