Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Filesystem corruption, FIXED

4-5 days ago, I was listening to music on my laptop (Gentoo), and I had forgotten to plug it in. The battery ran out and the laptop died. (I'd neglected to set up the ACPI events so that it shuts down on low battery)

When I tried to restart, X wasn't comming up. I tracked the problem to some important X file that had been corrupted when power went out to my hard disk (reiserfs). The journal didn't catch the problem, and neither could fsck fix it.

I had to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. I read that I should always back up my data before doing this, but I didn't.

reiserfsck fixed the corruption when it rebuilt the tree, and when I rebooted, everything was working as it was before!

I'd like to see Windows fix filesystem corruption that painlessly. Not to mention, Linux filesystems are way more robust than NTFS.

Man do I love my Gentoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home